Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Baking...Hobby

      


WARNING: This post has lots of pictures. I’m sorry if you start salivating.
 
Anyone who’s lived around me in the past 3 years knows that I have developed somewhat of a baking obsession hobby. In particular, I've taken a liking to cupcakes. Whether it’s because the cupcake scene exploded with reality baking shows like Cupcake Wars and Cake Boss or I just love seeing the look on co-workers, friends and family’s faces when I bring a box of cupcakes into a room, I’m not sure. All I know, I got sucked in with everyone else.
 
I’ve always been somewhat of a baker. I made chocolate chips cookies from scratch with my mom and participated in the brownie and rice crispy treat making during holidays. (I will never EVER be able to perfect my mom’s rice crispies, even though she’s told me her secret!) And in college I was totally the roommate up at 3am making pink frosted birthday cupcakes in anticipation of a grand bash the next night for my fellow roomie. (This was one of the best parties we had in college. We blew up life size pictures of all the roommates and the birthday girl and posted them around the house. Awesome.)

Mmm S'mores.


Anyway, I found that I liked making cupcakes the best for a few reasons.

1. A lot of people have really bad attitudes about cake. I’m not sure what it is, though it normally centers on some bad experience with horrid frosting. People are much less skeptical about cupcakes. Also, I HATE super sweet frosting.

2. Cupcakes are easier to grab-and-go. This is especially important for work place situations. People like to dine and dash or rather grab the goods and head back to their desk without being caught in the break room slicing off a piece of cake and feeling guilty when someone walks in. More importantly it’s not always a big deal taking the 1st slice, but it’s when you want to go back for seconds that you need an easy escape route.

3. They are more personal. It’s just you and that cupcake and it’s all yours. You don’t have to cut anything or share!


Banana Split.
I often get inspired by different cupcakes based on random cupcake blogs on the internet. (Yes, these exist.) I rarely copy recipes completely, but instead take an idea or flavor from them (like S’mores) and just add whatever I think will taste yummy. This does not always work out, but most of the time it does and I can call it my own receipe! Holidays are my favorite inspiration, including birthdays. I love trying to incorporate someone’s favorite candy into their cupcakes. Not only is it fun to experiment with something new, but people totally appreciate that you made something so personal.







My Top 5 Cupcakes:

1.        Burger Cupcakes
2.        Banana Split Cupcakes
3.        Sheep Cupcakes (Fondant Heads credit: Noah Firth)
4.        Reindeer Cupcakes
5.        Whiskey Frosting Cupcakes

A few people have heard me joke about opening a bakery, and I have most definitely added it to my life goals list. Maybe when I’m done with all this real-job stuff, I’ll venture into the sweets business. I would also be up for a friend opening a restaurant and I’d gladly oblige to be the cupcake supplier. (Hint, Hint, friends) For now, I’m quite content spoiling my friends and family.









No comments:

Post a Comment