Thursday, July 5, 2012

Running: It's Totally a Thing

Is it just me, or are running events totally a thing now?

If you want to crawl in mud, have paint splattered at you, be chased by zombies, run bar to bar taking “pub run” to a whole new level, listen to rock bands, act like a Spartan, put yourself through hell and call it “Tough Mudder”, you can! You name it; they have a run for it. And you won’t hear me complaining because I’ve participated in my fair share of these races.

Pajama Pankcake Run


Now, I know I’ve always liked running, but somehow it seems that many people my age who were never “runners” are now into it in some way, whether they are willing to try a 5k (this is how the racing addiction starts) or larger races. Here’s my theory: we miss team sports. No, not the local dodge-ball kind of sports, the Friday night high school varsity (insert sport here) type sports.Don’t get me wrong, running is certainly an individualized sport. And no one but you is going to make you put on your running shoes and go for a run when all you want to do is sit on the couch and catch-up on the latest episode of Game of Thrones. BUT, there is something about training for an event (or not, for those “do I really need to train for a 5k even though I haven’t ran in 4 months people) and getting dressed up in funky costumes with all your friends to do something athletic together. Who doesn’t want to craw around in some mud for a while and enjoy the great pictures and pitchers that follow?
Color Run

I’ve found that you can trick your I-hate-running-friends into fine-I’ll-do-it-because-I-don’t-want-to-miss-out-on-the-fun-friends with all the races available these days. This is one of my favorite things about the beer drinking, paint-in-your-face, tutu wearing, dress-up-as-your-favorite-superhero-runs! Your friends start to like running!

Not only do races provide that competitive fun that we miss, but there is a serious sense of accomplishment when you cross any finish line. In fact, a friend likes to call reaching the finish line crack cocaine (I agree). If you get a thrill out of a 5k, bump yourself to a half marathon and then tell me you won’t ever need to feel the overwhelming feeling of people cheering you on as you cross over the red tape (especially after feeling like you weren’t gonna make it at mile 6). This is one of the reasons I like getting people to try running. The feeling is almost unexplainable and I happily report that I have converted a few people into runners due to that feeling alone. Just to be clear, I’m not talking Olympic runners here, more like the walk-runners. Which is totally fine! (I’m happy to clear up any misconceptions that all people who do marathons run the entire thing. See this is me starting to make you wonder if you could do a longer race. Is it working?)
Finishing my first marathon at Disney.

I can’t possibly mention the ending of a race without touching on the beginning. It’s almost as exciting as the end! There’s an electric feeling in the air, especially for half marathons and marathons. Everyone is giddy with excitement and nerves as they prepare to embark on a journey for some that will last two hours and others seven. It’s the countdown of the corrals as you inch towards the starting line, the Jock Jam-esque music blaring through the speakers and the crowd counting down while holding signs for loved ones. It’s re-creating the excitement of a Friday night game under the lights against your rival high school that I so dearly miss from time to time. 
                                                           Races give me a little piece of that.

Warrior Dash

So, if you get tired of your after-work kickball league and want to step-up your game, grab a couple friends and challenge yourself to 13.1 or 26.2 miles.  But, don’t blame me if you have to make way in your budget for more races in the future. I warned you about the possibility of contracting race addiction.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lady!

    I blog too now (mainly because it's for one of my classes) and now I'm all about it! We should be friends. PS I am running in the 5K Color Run on the 22nd!! Very excite!

    Love,
    Meesh

    ReplyDelete